It made for a hectic autumn, completing the Working with Photographs assignment, and preparing,composing and completing the last Assignment - Mixed Flowers, whilst working on the preparation for the Diploma Piece, as I knew there would be no material available at the end of the year and after Christmas. I did manage to get quite a bit recorded in my sketchbook, and also took plenty of Photographs, but it's never enough. And of course it was coming to the very end of the fruiting season, which in Wales is very short anyway. I do love a challenge.
So how come I mainly painted leaves for this assignment? There was fruit, and at one point I almost cried because the fruit are so fiddly to paint and Long Red Marconi Peppers started to look really attractive with the possibility of nice big juicy washes. But as my dear son pointed out, I'd then be complaining it was too much red! He was right, so I mentally gave myself a kick and carried on. But those leaves! Curled, holed, crispy and half-eaten, they were all so much fun to paint and against all my expectations, the unusual lack of snow and severe weather meant that I still had viable material in the garden! I've put it out of sight now, as I started picking holes in it, even before it was finished. Best to start work on the next one and take another look in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully I won't be so critical of it then (fat chance!)